Monday, February 16, 2009

Swimming at Hotel du Port

As it turns out, the beaches here in Cotonou are reported to be unsafe. Rip currents and rocks are part of the reason, I think. As a result, and since things are a bit more developed here than in Liberia, swimming in local hotel pools may become our primary recreational activity on the weekends when we feel like getting out. It is very hot here! The weather is a bit hotter than in Monrovia, so having some water to play in is a good thing as long as you don't forget the sunscreen. Most of the local hotels that have pools will allow you to swim for a fee. The one we went to on Saturday was about a 30 minute walk away and was apparently one of the more reasonably priced. The cost to swim was 1500 CFA franc ($3 U.S.) for adults and 1000 CFA franc ($2 U.S.) each for the kids. So, we could swim all day for $12. One rule that we found a bit odd was that the hotel requires male swimmers to wear speedo style swim suits. The manager is an apparently French lady who allowed us to swim in what we had on for the day as long as we came properly dressed the next time. I don't fully understand the rationale behind the rule, but I'm not sure it would make much difference if I did. You apparently can get a little more modest style bathing suit that is acceptable in the local markets. I'm grateful for that because I'm not sure I care to wear what amounts to a bikini bottom! It's a frightening thought for me, although seeing some of the swimwear there on Saturday, I'm not sure that anyone would be offended.

We and alot of others from the ship had a pretty good time there on Saturday. They have about a 12 or 15 foot high dive platform that David was off of before we noticed. He isn't intimidated by much it seems. All the kids thoroughly enjoyed jumping from it and getting some good pool time.
John

2 comments:

Renee' said...

Hello Rolland Family! I thought I should say hi since I read your blog often and have been since you were in Gateway. Some day my husband and I hope to serve with Mercy Ships too, so we love reading about your life and work!

Kc said...

Ha! At least they are letting you wear a suit... We ran into a similar problem in Germany at a spa, but a bit more extreme. We opted to go home instead of stick around in our birthday suits! I don't quite get the mentality either.