Sunday, February 8, 2009

Pet for a Day

Yesterday we discovered we had a stowaway in our cabin! I noticed that my new geranium was being eaten by a cute little inchworm (actually a half-inch worm). It was my intention to capture him in a napkin and smoosh him right then. Instead, I showed him to the kids and he became our new pet, Wormy!
Wormy, posing for John
Since there was no way I was going to sacrifice my plant, a juice glass with a geranium leaf became Wormy's new home. We quickly became attached to Wormy and he was taken to the dining room to play cards with us. Every now and then we would check to make sure he hadn't escaped. He seemed very content to hang out on his leaf and nibble it as he wished.
Wormy looking at his former home from the counter
This morning Wormy was still on his leaf in his glass. We were happy, he was happy... Then, this evening, we went to dinner and out on the bow of the ship one last time. When we returned to the cabin, we discovered that a couple of the glasses that had been on the table had slid off with the rolling of the ship. One of the glasses was Wormy's! Oh, no! We rushed to the scene of the accident and soon realized that poor Wormy had been squished dead by the rim of the glass. We were a bit sad, but I was secretly rejoicing that I didn't have to be the one to kill him in the end!
R.I.P. Wormy!
Jenny


2 comments:

The Rollands said...

Thank you, Luis Portugal. A hug back from the ship, M/V Africa Mercy!

Anonymous said...

LOL! No really....We are sorry for your loss! And thank you for sharing such great memories of Wormy at his best...great pics!