Sunday, July 13, 2008

Silence

Silence is Golden.

What does that mean? Do we value silence enough? As we began our silent retreat yesterday, I was asking myself these questions. And I realized that I was more in tune to what was going on around me; my hearing and my sight were sharper. And I COULD THINK!

I have wondered in the past why we feel the need to fill up quiet moments with noise--music, TV, talk, etc. What is it we are afraid of or feel uncomfortable about and so we find it hard to be silent? Hummm.

This exercise was very good for me. It made me want to be quiet on purpose more often. And in the quietness, I want to know God more, to hear Him in the silence. I want to be able to hear him whisper!

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

Jenny

No comments: