Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Joey's first week at camp



Here is Joey's account of his week at Boy Scout Camp at Camp Raven Knob, Mt. Airy, NC (June 22-28):

"On the afternoon of Sunday, June 22 we got to camp Raven Knob. First we unpacked, then a few of us went to see the archery range, and the shotgun range. We had a supper of spaghetti and garlic bread and peaches. We all then went to church at 8:00 PM. That night I slept in my sleeping bag, and I sweated so much, I felt like I was in a bathtub. The next night, I figured out that I should put the sheets on top of the bag, using the bag just for padding.
Monday morning after breakfast, I went to my classes: archaeology, woodcarving, and swimming. Then we had a 2-hour break for lunch before we went to archery. Then another 2-hr break, then supper. Then we went frog hunting because the museum needed more live frogs.
Tuesday we did the usual daytime routine; then church at 8:00PM; then to 22g. rifle-shooting. After that , it was still light outside, so we went fishing. I caught the biggest fish that the scoutmaster had ever seen from that lake. Nobody had a camera, but we had 5 witnesses. We had to throw it back. At sunset, we took a hike to the knob. On the way back down, we saw a copperhead lying on the edge of the path. We didn't have a scoutmaster with us, so we bypassed it.
On Wednesday, the highlight of the day was that our families came, and the archery teachers came for dinner. My grandparents came all the way from Laurinburg, NC, along with my parents, brother and sister.
On Thursday, the most important thing happened in the swimming merit badge class. It was a survival lesson where we had to inflate our shirts and pants to float with. The shirts were a lot easier to inflate. You had to unbutton the third button down, bend your head down, and blow air into the shirt, then float on your stomach. Then we were rewarded with pizza for dinner. Then we went on another knob hike; it was pitch black when we started back, and it also rained on us. I was exhausted that night!
Friday was the most important day of the week. We finished all of our merit badges that day. I got 3 of the 4 merit badges that I took: archaeology, (we had to find little plastic army men buried in sand, and carefully uncover them); woodcarving - I made a neckerchief slide that's shaped like an axe; and swimming - we had to swim 150 yards without stopping.
Saturday we ate a little breakfast, then packed up our belongings and got on the bus for home."

No comments: