Saturday, May 30, 2009

Our Father, who art in Heaven...

This week in our Thursday morning devotionals, Nari Palmer encouraged us to reflect on God for a moment and write down the first 7 characteristics of God that came to mind. I thought I would go through the list one by one and share each here as a post. The first one I wrote down was "Father".

I am blessed to have a wonderful earthly Father who has loved me and been an example of how my heavenly Father loves me. But I know that many people go through life never knowing or having been let down by their fathers. Our Father in heaven cares for us so tenderly, providing for our every need, drawing us to himself when the world disappoints us.


This week we found out that one of our little patients who was on the ship with us for many weeks passed away. Odelon was only a few weeks old and severely underfed when we met him. He suffered from a cleft lip and palate and had been all but disowned by his family. He and his mom came to the Africa Mercy and began a feeding program designed to help him gain enough weight and strength to undergo surgery to correct his deformity. The program was successful and his lip and palate were repaired by Dr Tertius Venter a couple months ago.


Odelon stayed with us for awhile after surgery so that his mom could get used to feeding him now that he was "normal". They were doing very well and finally returned to their village. But our joy over Odelon's triumph was turned to sadness when we learned this week that he had not been accepted back into his family and eventually died from lack of nourishment. Please pray for his family and village, that their eyes would be opened to the Truth and that the Truth will set them free from all that keeps them in darkness.

Psalm 68:5 ~ A father to the fatherless, a defender to the widows, is God in his holy dwelling.

Psalm 27:10 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me.

No comments: