Saturday, November 1, 2008

Hope and Rest

Well, here is another weekend. Time is flying by so quickly! I remember when I was much younger, my mother told me the older you get, the faster it flies. I couldn't imagine it passing more quickly than then. Oh...but now I see!

We are nearing the end of our outreach to Liberia now, and the community in and around the ship are feeling the effects of this fact. With only four more weeks of surgery left, we have no more space on the schedule to fit any more people in. This is very sobering and creates quite a dilemma in our hearts when we still meet so many people who are in need of our help.

Our Eye Team that goes out into the community during the week has seen the desperation of the people wanting aid give way to violent pushing, shoving and injury. Last week a man from a local church who was helping to provide security to the team was brought to the ship for urgent help because his finger tip was cut off in the violent crowd. Our crew physician provided care necessary for sewing up the shortened middle finger and then last Saturday we brought the fellow back to the OR for a revision. He was very grateful and wished us the Lord's blessing and long life.

All of this could leave one feeling hopeless, but the truth is that God is still in charge. He said to Joshua in Deuteronomy 31:8, "The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." We can walk in this truth as well, and know that just because we will be heading to give aid to the people in a different country next year, God will not forsake His people and the work He has been doing here. Please pray that people will know this truth and be encouraged.

We on the ship can be encouraged with the promise from Matthew 11:28-30 that says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for you souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Thank you, Lord, for Your rest!

Jenny

1 comment:

Melba said...

I am enjoying your blog so.o.o.o much. I can't imagine the changes you have had. I have 3 children and know that life is hectic with that alone, not to mention a move and new closer quarters thrown into the mix. I know that the Lord is truly helping you and your family during this tine of new adventures.
God Bless,
Melba Edwards and family